At the furniture showroom, during my first week, I met Harley. Harley was a distinguished gentleman....he had a hearing aid and had gray hair, had incredibly funny inappropriate jokes, and I just knew we were gonna be good friends.
Harley was an installer - that means he was one of the guys that loaded the furniture onto a truck, made sure he had all the tools to get the job done, got to the job site, greeted the clients, unloaded the furniture, put it all together, and made sure the clients were happy before he left. And Harley was no spring chicken - but he had amazing strength and a great manner with the clients. (Many of our return clients specifically requested him.)
One of many things I learned at the showroom was that furniture came in pieces. (Silly me! I thought that chairs, desks, and tables came in assembled. OOO Lordy, was I wrong! A desk can have a dozen or so parts that, together, make it complete. Even chairs - who'da thunk it?! - come in unassembled.) Part of our job was making sure we had all the pieces to put it together (like Humpty Dumpty). ; - )
So my job, as an Administrative Sales Administrator, was to create quotes for clients. Then, if they approved the quote, I turned the quote into an order. Then, as part of the ordering process, I scheduled the delivery for the client. Lastly, I emailed the client to let them know when they could expect to see us on-site for delivery and setup.
Once the parts were received on-site - generally a week ahead of our install date - they were checked for accuracy against our order. If there were any problems, like parts were missing, or something got damaged in shipment - that week's delay allowed us time to proactively "fix it" before it got to the client.
Generally, the day of the install, Harley would place his calls to clients - letting them know what his schedule for the day looked like and juggling times if he could.
I told you all that about the "biz" - so I could relate this. Harley came to see me every morning before he went out on the road and every evening when he came back (unless he was doing a late install). He did it in such a manner that I thought he was just checking with me and the other Admins to say hi.
I didn't think anything of it until one day Stephanie joked with him that he was "just checking on his girlfriend," and shot a look back at me. What? Huh?! The man was older, married, and we were just friends. Period. What was she talking about? Harley didn't bat an eyelash, just threw some attitude back to her.
Lo and behold, later that same week, Harley asked me if I was on Facebook. I was - and I am - and so, after work we friended each other and that was when I really "met" Harley. Whoa! The guy was hysterical - private as all heck - but lonely. He and his wife had been married a long time - 25 years! I just want to stop this train right here: we were - and are - just friends.
We talked on Facebook - after work - for hours, about anything and everything. I related my "sob story" as by then, I'd labeled it. He talked about his age in this industry (he was 68) - and the fact that he wasn't working because he "needed" the money - he had built he and his wife a comfortable nest egg. As an ADD/HD sufferer, Harley just needed to keep moving. He told me that he had quit before - all of a month! - but found himself going stir crazy at home so he went back to work. 'Nuff said.
In one of our discussions, Harley said that Stephanie had mentioned to him - more than once - that she knew he liked me and what was he gonna do about it? Harley told her that yes, we were friends, and essentially told her to back off (in a totally polite, yet irreverent way). He gave me a little backstory on Stephanie, too.
It seems our down-to-earth, God-fearing, yet tattooed Stephanie was a reformed "bad girl." In fact, it turns out that her oldest daughter is the product of a relationship with a jailed boyfriend. So Stephanie the bad girl projects her inner badness to Harley by thinking that he is going to throw away 25 years of marriage by having an affair with a much-younger Admin. (Stephanie, by the way, is now happily married to a fellow that she met in bible study.)
He goes on to tell me that he is also getting raised eyebrows, spoken comments, and written comments on his Facebook profile from the other admin - Cyndy - too. It seems that Cyndy is a born-again upstanding Christian woman and worries that he has ulterior motives for his daily visits to us.
(You remember Cyndy from my earlier posts, right?) The woman who was "much too busy to help me" - *E*V*E*R*......
So we nipped them both in the bud. He unfriended Cyndy from his Facebook profile and began stopping by just once a day. We continued our discussions on Facebook, building a friendship - away from prying eyes.
When I got fired, he was floored. He had no inkling of Stephanie's plan.
But Harley would turn out to be another great part of 2013; a true friend, one of a handful who truly came through for me when I was at my absolute lowest point.






Sounds like a great guy, I hate that Christian or not people have a way of thinking married folks don't need outside of marriage companionship. True, we are all human, but we do not all "cheat." As always enjoyed reading! Thanks for sharing a little bit more of you.
ReplyDelete